Avocado Summer Rolls
Prep time: 30 min
Total time: 45 min–1hr
Makes 8-10 Servings
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 dried red chili peppers
- 2 Hass avocados
- 20 spring roll or rice paper rounds, 6 or 8 inches in diameter
- 10 Boston lettuce leaves
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 seedless English cucumber, cut into thin strips
- To make the dipping sauce, remove stems from dried peppers. Rehydrate the peppers by placing them in a small bowl with the vinegar for 30 minutes or until soft. Chop peppers roughly (remove the seeds for less heat). In a small saucepan, add the vinegar, 2 tbsp water, chopped peppers, garlic, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil until the sauce reduces by half and becomes thick. Set aside or keep in the refrigerator for several days.
- Halve and pit the avocados, then scoop out the flesh. Cut it into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Prepare your rolling station by placing a wide, shallow dish of warm water and two clean kitchen towels on a work surface. Dip one rice paper round into the warm water for a few seconds. Once softened, place it on the first towel to dry. Dip a second rice paper round into the water, then place it directly on top of the first dipped round. Pat them dry with the second towel, keeping them neatly stacked together.
- To create the roll, start by placing a lettuce leaf in the center of the paper round. For the remainder of the filling, start by adding cilantro and mint leaves about one-third from the bottom of the wrapper. Next, add a row of carrots, cucumbers, and avocado. It’s better to understuff than to overstuff.
- Begin rolling by lifting up the bottom edge of the paper round and pulling it over the filling, tucking in the sides as you go, like rolling a burrito. Once rolled, set aside seam-side down. Repeat the process to create ten rolls in total.
- To serve, slice each roll in half and arrange it on a platter of Boston lettuce. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve the dipping sauce on the side. Serves 8-10.